As a kid this was one of my favorite things
my mom made us for breakfast.
And now my kids love them as well!
They are delicious right out of the oven with a little
butter and jam!
Whole Wheat Scones
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup flour
1 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a large bowl sift together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk until just moistened.
- With floured hands, pat dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment, into a 9 inch circle, 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 8 pie shaped wedges.
- Pull out every other wedge to slightly separate for baking.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve hot.