Sunday, June 24, 2012

Swimming and Baked Oatmeal

I can't believe it's already Sunday!
When Joe works on Saturdays it feels like our weekend is over before it starts!

Yesterday evening we took the kids swimming.
It was Livs first swim of the summer and Kellens first ever swim.


Liv really enjoyed jumping off the side of the pool.


Kellen joyed the water too.


I loved his swim trunks!


I think Liv and Daddy's favorite part was the ice cream though ;)


For Sunday morning I thought I would try some baked oatmeal that I have been
seeing on Pinterest lately. I looked at quite a few recipe and since I was out of
many of the ingredients they called for I made up my own recipe.
Liv loved it!
It was a nice change form the typical oatmeal we eat.


Here is my recipe. You could change the nuts and berries based on what you like.
Or even add more bananas and applesauce if you wanted.
The oatmeal is not super sweet so you could add some sugar or double the
maple syrup if you're wanting something sweeter.

Baked  Fruit and Nut Oatmeal

Ingredients
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup sliced almonds, divided
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 T. maple syrup
1 cup skim milk
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 banana, sliced
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup berries, divided (I used a mixture of raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries that were frozen)

Preheat oven to 375F.

Lightly grease a 9 inch square baking dish.

In a bowl mix the oats, half of the almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a measuring cup mix the milk, egg, maple syrup and vanilla.

Lay the banana slices in the bottom of the baking dish. Then spoon the applesauce over the top. Next add about half of the berries. Take the oat mixture and spinkle it over the berries in an even layer.

Now take the liquid mixture and pour it all over the oats, finish off the dish by sprinkling the remaining half cup of berries and half of the almonds on top.

I baked mine for 35 minutes till it was lightly browned on the edges.








No comments:

Post a Comment